Curios Question

BigDadday

Everday People
I am wondering??? I have 2 hard drives on one ide cable and 2 roms 1 a cd and the other a writer. My question is?? If I want to throw in a internal zip that I have what do I hook it to or are all the slots used up for the drives? If so is there a way I can have the 3? Thnx,:beerchug:

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
You'll need to lose one of the CDRoms if you want internal. Another option is an external through USB.

alex

Or you could get a RAID mobo which supports 8 IDE devices.

I remember a discussion somewhere about having a cd-rom and a cd-rw on the same IDE channel. You'll get faster burns if you put them on seperate channels.

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
Or maybe install a IDE/ATA controller pci card. I have one hard disk on primary master, one hard disk on the controller card (ATA-133) and my burner on the secondary master.

BigDadday

Everday People
Thnx peeps and I have read about not having one drive on my cable with the hard drives in my manual as well? Raid is the sounds of the solution and I already have an external but wanted to compact the area a bit.BD

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
If you have a CD-ROM on the same cable with a hard drive, it will slow down the access times on the HD when it is in use. On the other hand, burning from CD to CD is easier when the writer is on a different line than the CD-ROM.

Choose your poison. :D

Professur

Mushroom at large
Um, there is another way. Track down an old sound card with an ide interface. I used that to run 4 hds and a cdrom all on one machine. Until the ps gave out.

Professur

Mushroom at large
I wouldn't think they would have. PCI and secondary IDE slots entered the market pretty much at the same time.