crucial"the memory experts"dont know, do you?

redrum666

:mad: I want to upgrade my DELL Dimension XPS R350 200mhz.So I went to cruial to find out what kind of ram it takes and the maximum it will take.I used their search dohicky thing for the ram for my machine it wasn't in there.So I talked to one of the experts on line and they were stomped on this one .So if any body knows anything on this matter would be great.thankyou.David
[email protected]

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
redrum666

Do you know which Motherboard is in your computer?

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
Ok if you can tell me which mobo you have i can answer your question

redrum666

Some one suggested I look for ID NO. on the MOBO then go to dell's site to find my MOBO. Still trying to get that ID.NO.

redrum666

Ok,so I have SIMM 72pin.So correct me if i'm wrong,which I probably am :D On one side of the ram is (16) black chips,the other side (16) black chips plus one extra smaller chip,but only on one side.one side has 17 chips and the other16.Is that considered non-parity.This is so confusing :confused:

redrum666

For all of you helping me out with this ram problem, thanks so much :D And Gonzo,nice job man :D That last link is what might solve my ram problem.I have the whole summary profile of my computer,it doesn't go in full detail about the ram installed :( It does say I'm using mother board Intel Corporation VS440FXAA649414-406 so I like to ask Neo to help on this again :D

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
Hiya redrum :wave:
I'm not so sure that number you gave in the last post is your mobo...I went to Dell and Intell and couldn't pull it up.
Try this: on your desktop, rt click on my computer select device manager. scroll down to system devices, click on the plus, highlight system board and click properties...see if that will give you the info on your mobo we need. :)

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Q's right-it doesn't give the exact info you need, but it's a huge start & it should say whether the memory is SIMM or SDRAM.

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
ok redrum666,
Thanks for the information, now here is yours...

System Memory Combinations
The Intel® VS440FX Motherboard provides four 72-pin SIMM sockets that make it possible to install up to 256 MB of RAM. The sockets support 1M x 32/36 (4 MB), 2M x 32/36 (8 MB), 4M x 32/36 (16 MB), 8M x 32/36 (32 MB), and 16M x 32/36 (64 MB) single or double-sided, parity (x36), non-parity (x32), or ECC modules. Minimum memory size is 8 MB and maximum memory size, using four 16M x 32/36 SIMM modules, is 256 MB. Memory timing requires 60 ns fast page devices or, for optimum performance, 60 ns EDO DRAM.

The four sockets are arranged in two banks of two sockets each. The sockets are designated Bank 0 and Bank 1. Each bank provides a 64/72-bit wide data path. Both SIMMs in a bank must be of the same memory size and type, although the types of memory may differ between banks. The followong tables show the possible memory combinations and an example of memory installation.

The Intel VS440FX Motherboard supports only tin-lead SIMMs.

Here is the link to Intels page for further information and who's memory you can buy.
Intel

redrum666

All I got was this.

Manufacture:standard system device

Hardware version:not available

Device status:this device is working properly :wave:

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
DAMN that Intell :mad: they didn't tell me any of that shit. Prolly scoped out my system with some kinda spy checker stuff and figured out I'm an AMD shopper and withheld the information on purpose. :lurk:

nice work NEO :D

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
Originally posted by redrum666
Device status:this device is working properly :wave:
well, it is kind of comforting to know your mobo is working properly, isn't it? :D