Consumers Union, XP & OS X

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
I just got the October 2001 edition of Consumer Reports. There's a one page minimalistic breakdown of the good & bad of those two OS's. They mention that MS abandoned "smart tags" which we all knew and the upgrade of hardware no longer disables XP, if it's done in "small bursts". I assume that to mean that if you replace one piece of hardware at a time you don't need to call MS for an OKAY. That, I didn't know about, and am unsure of it's accuracy.
They also say that Macs OS X is a fine piece of software, except NOTHING RUNS ON IT, yet. It's a UNIX playform & the 1000 or so proggies available are DEMO or very specialized applications.

Thier recommendation-
XP: if you have hardware that's less than 2 years old-upgrade, otherwise what you have, if it's older than that, may not work.
OS X- Wait until there is a plethora of software available.

As much as I trust CU, they are way behind the times, usually, regarding computer stuff.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Most printed publications are, because they have to wait until all the contributors have an article written before publishing the magazine, so most of them are usually a month or two behind the times.

Online publications clearly have an advantage here, in that when the article is finished, it goes up right then and there.

I still read magazines though, because my favorites always include demo CDs of the games they are reviewing, so that if I want to play it, I don't have to wait hours and hours to download it :smash:

ris

i am my my own evil twin
i have heard [via the office mac-addict] that apple are about to release mac os-x.2. this is supposed to be the original full release but mac stepped forward the distro so as not to be left behind.

photoshop 7 is in the late beta development for it as well apparently.

as for xp - i'm quite happy with win2k thanks, unless work are supplying corporate editions again in which case i may well try it out.

as long as i've not got to keep ringing m$ everytime i reinstall or make a little tweak :rolleyes:

a13antichrist

Moderator from Hell
It's a shame that the magazines can't keep up. When someone rushes intot he office proclaiming the "latest developments" itbegins to get a bit mean embarassing them every single time.. ;)
Not to mention the fact that by the time they come out, contradictory information is then the fact, which can lead to confusion when pointed out...