Congress shall make no laws abridging the freedom of speech

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
OK, say you're sitting in a diner at midnight. The people across the aisle start giving you dirty looks & possibly making disparaging remarks. You know why & in a poke at them, you make a smartassed remark, surely to offend & nothing more. You finish your meal & leave.

Several hours later you are in a completely different state, literally & most likely, figuratively. All of the sudden, the brunt force of the state of Florida comes knocking with jackboots & iron fists. They, after receiving a BOLO from the state of Georgia, heard you were planning to blow up Miami & make people cry, not only on 9/11 but now on 9/13, too. This, overheard by a waitress at the place you dined earlier. She, without knowing the full story nor the reasoning behind it, called the police.

You are now responsible for shutting down the only southern gateway between east & west Florida for nearly 16 hours. You are responsible for the Miami-Dade bomb squad being directed in your direction. They blow up your backpack on live TV. They search the 2 vehicles in which you & your accomplices were riding. After 2/3's of a day you are deemed irrelevant, harmless & released.

Now, potentially, you face charges of making a terrorist threat. Most likely, resulting in your & your buddies being held financially liable for the time of the officers & equipment.

Do you;

A)hang your head in shame, pay the restitution & hope all forget this silly, badly times joke, or;

B)Fight this all the way to the Supreme Court of the United States on the grounds that, no threat was made to anyone, the officers overreacted, even in a time of war, it became more & more apparent you were not a threat and, above all, the first admendment still applies, even to foreign guys.

I choose B, what say ye?

leslie

I would like to say B, because it is the right thing, but in reality, it'd likely be A, unfortunately.

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Ok, it's a bit of an over reaction I think, but theoretically, I suppose it could happen. Saying it did happen, I would first press charges of false arrest and police harassment, as they don't have "proof" of an actual threat, only what someone thinks they heard. Second, I would most certainly press charges for any harm caused to me. This would most certainly happen as police are usually pretty dumb (LA police officers come to mind here). Third, I would sue the police department, the city and then I would most likely sue the individual persons involved. Hopefully, some idiot that called the police would have a few bucks to lose. Finally, I would most cetainly sue all of the above all the way to the top. However, I don't think it would go that far. Most DA's realize their fuckups once a lawsuit hits the idiots it the forehead. You just gotta make sure it hits them hard...like use a sledge hammer to get their attention.

leslie

It'd sure be hard for the average Joe to carry on a legal battle of that magnitude long enough though.