Comments on new lappy I bought

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
Dammit; hurry up and get here. :( Time to upgrade that p3-700 stinkpad I've had forever...

Specifications
Display: 15.4" Widescreen TFT LCD WXGA (1280 x 800 max. resolution)
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
CPU: Mobile AMD Athlon™ 64 3200+ Processor
64-bit Architecture operates at 2.00 GHz
System Bus uses HyperTransport™
Technology operating at 1600 MHz
1 MB L2 Cache
Memory: 512 MB DDR SODIMM (PC 2700)
Hard Drive: 80 GB HDD
Optical Drives: DVD +/- RW Drive (Write Max: 2.4x DVD+R/RW, 2x DVD-R/RW, 6x CD-R, 10x CD-RW; Reads 24x CD, 8x DVD)
Media Reader: 6-in-1 Digital Media Manger (Compact Flash, Micro Drive, MultiMedia Card, Secure Digital (SD), Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro)
Video: ATI® Mobility RADEON™ 9600 with 64 MB Video RAM
Sound: PC2001 Compliant AC '97 Audio
Built-in Stereo Speakers
Modem: 56K* ITU V.92 Fax/Modem
Network: 802.11g Built-in Wireless (up to 54Mbps)
10/100Mbps built-in Ethernet
Pointing Device: Touchpad with Vertical Scroll Zone
Battery: 8-cell Lithium-ion (Li-ion)
Dimensions: 1.6"h x 14.0"w x 10.4"d
Weight: 7.5 lbs. (8.65 total travel weight)
Internet: AOL 3 month membership included, click here for details
Ports/Other: 4 USB 2.0 ports, 1 IEEE 1394, 1 VGA External Connector, 1 S-Video Out, Microphone In, Headphone/Audio Out, 1 PCMCIA Slot (Card Bus type I or type II)
Pre-Installed Software: Microsoft Works 7.0, Microsoft Money 2004, Encarta Online, Adobe® Acrobat® Reader™, Microsoft Media Player, Real Player, PowerDVD, Internet Explorer, Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator (DVD Edition), BigFix®, MSN®, CompuServe®, AOL (with 3 months membership included**), Norton AntiVirus 2004 (90 day complimentary subscription)

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
very nice specs there huge. Just please tell me its not a sony.

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
It's not a Sony.

But I'm sure a lot of people will go :eek: when I do reveal the brand name.

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
Yeah, I'll load up Pro once it comes; it comes with a lot of crapola software that I'll get rid of.

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
The mysterious brand is:

eMachines

Before you go making that :sick: face, they make good laptops (I don't know about their desktop systems). Check out [H]'s boards (if it ever comes back again) and www.notebookforums.com. I almost picked up a 17" p4 3.4 from Sager (it has a 256mb m11 gpu in it) but it was a $1,000 more.

Where the hell is my ups truck? :mad:

ImRaptor

Yeah, they are decent laptops. Weakest part of the brand is lack of upgradability.
But its a laptop, so you're not exactly looking at a plethera of upgrades anyway.

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
The only upgrade I might do right away is slap in a 7200rpm drive; we'll see how bad the 4200 is.

Nixy

Administrator
Staff member
I heart my laptop

I would like to take this opportunity Prof to thank you for looking into it in depth for me...it's such a sexy beast too!!!

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
Well I'm sitting on my couch watching Mythbusters and leaching off the wireless network next door in the school. Nice machine, haven't really benchmarked it yet (got about 200 fps in q3a and ~2500 in 3dmark03). Nice and responsive so far.

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
sweet. I so need to update my IBM. Its a 600 celery with everything maxed. no more upgrades for it. :(

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
*still waiting for enough cash to get a laptop.*

They look like nice specs Huge, though I know squat about lappies.

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
The only problem I've run into so far is I can't do a chkdsk/f (it just boots normally without running chkdsk) and Diskeeper's boot time defrag won't run either (says something about the volume being locked). Weird.

I need to go get some dvd media; I'm going to make a disk image and reformat to put Pro on.

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
I figured out that problem with chkdsk; don't install the latest ZAP 5.x (many bugs it seems, discovered that @ hwc).

Les, the school WAP is crap; as soon as I brought the lappy upstairs, it automatically connected to a Netgear WAP connected to RR. Getting over 320kb/s on some downloads; have no clue who it is though (don't worry, I only connect >= 12am so they should be asleep).

Installing Far Cry on this machine was a RPITA though, stupid copy protection that doesn't work on genuine cd's (many, many people have complained about this on their boards). Also wish I knew it came out on dvd (@ Ubi's site); got UT2k4 on dvd and runs flawlessly at 1280x800x32 (anyone know how to benchmark UT2k4?)

Off to play some FC...