case modding

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
What type of paint should be used to paint the palstic on the front of the case? Is there a special type? im looking to start on it soon:D Will be the official XI case...:cool: :worm:

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
Chrome on the inside definately... outside will be higloss black with red w00t

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
Awww common, i know you guys OC and stuff. But none of you mod your cases? I cant be the first one to want to or have done this.

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
Sorry. Never done a case mod. Maybe somebody will let me experiment with one of theirs one of these days...

Tweety

Just a Birdie!
Any normal paint for metal/plastic should work, BUT...
You have to sand it really fine and MAKE sure to have no fingerprints... any surface left unsanded or with the smallest bit of fat will flake of...

Thats because the plastic in those fronts ausually have a difficult surface ... um well I don't know the correct words to describe it in english but the closest i get is...fat or "fatty" in that case to... :D :rolleyes:

One option is to wash it up really good with hot water and any hand dish-washing detergent and let it dry off before painting (plus use gloves)

Trust me... it looks real good for 2-3 days... but then the paint starts falling off if you haven't done the base work properly...:D

A ending tip, those texturised surfaces on some fronts can most easily be "sanded" using "steel-wool" (migth be the rigth word???)...

Also if you are going for a glossy paint or a metallic flake paint or something like that, make sure to use a clear coating over it, or it will much likely rub off on other stuff.. hands, furniture, clothes...:D

have fun..:D

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I figured there would be a problem if any oil was left on the case surface from finger prints, but I didn't know that a texture on the surface could pose a problem too. :eek:

Tweety

Just a Birdie!
Well... only if it's textured in the way that it look skinda rugged...
It's not really a problem because if you sand it, it will go flat...

But if you want to keep the texture, you can use wool to get to the bottom of the cracks/pits in the surface without flattening it out. If not sanded the paint will not stick to the plastic there... U get a very cool flakey look on the paint... but if that's not what you are after...:D Well...:D

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
thanks tweety, its an antec case. so i will be sanding like a madman for a while. but im hoping (praying) that it turns out great.

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Neo said:
Awww common, i know you guys OC and stuff. But none of you mod your cases? I cant be the first one to want to or have done this.

It's perty & all but I'd rather spend time & money of functionality & leave the lookers wondering what just passed them by. :D

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
I don't do case mods myself. Takes to long. A nice deep candy apple red would be cool though.

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
My next case will be a black one. It comes with a black CD-ROM and black floppy. Then, all I need to order is a new black face CDRW drive. See. Case mod predone. :lol: