can't get rid of excite

alex

Yes, that's correct. I'll give them a shot. Any of you networking guru's out there feel free to step in and help anytime.

btw - does @home allow multiple computers to access the internet from a single subscription?

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
Yes, you can have several computers on a single acct. but you need a router, the router will automatically assign IPs to the different machines. Right now I have mine set up through a hub and I pay for seperate IP's. That should be changing today though :)

alex

I wish I had known this before I forked out $50 for this hub :mad:

Looks like santa's gonna bring me a router.

Q, What kinda router did ya get? Does it act as a firewall?

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
I have an SMP barricade. I ordered it through the buy dot com ad at the top of this page. With the rebate it was cheaper than the ones at Best Buy. Yes it acts as a firewall.
(if it makes ya feel any better, I bought a hub first too, pad) ...but two of my machines are 70' from the other one, so I'm gonna need the hub anyway. I could have managed without it, but this will be neater and I'll need less cat 5. Also, if you need to get any more cat 5, check at local computer stores for prices, I got mine at a local place for about half what it was at Best Buy.

alex

There is a small computer show that comes around here bout every six months or so. Cost $5 to get in, but there are computer dealers from all over and you can get some really good deals on stuff like cables and accessories. I wouldn't buy anything major from them though.

I just realized I have too much stuff here that I don't even use anymore....time for a garage sale:D

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
I got a lotta extra stuff too...but for some reason, it gives me great comfort to be surrounded by hardware. :D

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Excite@Home doesn't "support" networking-so they may not be any help.

Option #1-Buy a router, which will provide a firewall & allows multiple connections at no per month cost.

Option #2-Stick with the hub & pay $5.00 per month to have access through a second computer. Then, you'll add a letter to your "Computer name" & be done with it. (as in wz367961-a. wz367961-b, etc)

Uninstalling the dial-up account should have made no difference. Using the "Network Neighborhood"-R click on properties & highlight TCP/IP. Click Properties. Make sure WINS & DNS Config are disabled, IP is set to "obtain an IP automatically" & the gateway is empty. ok or cancel if no changes made. On the Identification tab, make sure both puters have the same info, except the last letter. Make one of them (insert next letter here).

if you change anything WRITE IT DOWN for furure reference!!!

alex

Thanks gonz, I will check my settings tonight and maybe get a router this weekend.

I'm wondering why the cable guy was able to get both puters accessing internet. maybe he wasn't supposed to and the cable company just caught it a few days later.:shrug:

I also can't understand why all of a sudden the puters won't see each other and I get error messages at boot up of main system saying "network path already in use g:" and "network path not found h:"

G: is my cdrw on main system and h: is the mapped c: on puter 2

I will dig into it tonight (b4 I start drinkin)

Gonzo

Staff member
oops, I thought you were using 98.
unplug the other computer from the hub & re-boot the first one-using the computer name given by @home. In 2000, it will setup the network to the cable by itself. I'm not real sure of how to network 2k to an internal network-I believe it will do it by itself, with a little prodding, using the wizaed. But first & foremost, get your main setup running. Then, we'll work on adding the second one.

alex

disconnected cable to puter2 from hub, rebooted puter1, looked thru settings, nothing appears to have changed. Reconnected cable to puter2 to hub, waited a few minutes to see if win2k would find something, nothing. Rebooted puter1, went back thru settings, nothing changed, searched for computers, nothing.

Do you think I need a second "local area connection" setup differently. Puter1 is talkin fine to the cable modem, it just don't wanna talk to puter2.

I'm gonna poke around in network id.

Gonzo

Staff member
Let me get this straight-#1 is online & able to communicate with the internet-thru the hub-, correct? #2 will not go online, correct again?Is #2 setup to share files? It may not be talking to the hub-also, check & make sure the #2 NIC drivers are ok.

alex

correct on all accounts. you may be on to something, when #2 was talkin to the hub and internet, one of the things I did was download win2k sp2 onto #2.

the LED on the nic in #2 is flickering but the LED on the hub for #2 is steady. let me check something.....all hardware seems to be working properly, C drive on #2 is set to be shared.

I did a little diggin in the event viewer on #1 and found this:

The DNS Client service could not contact any DNS servers for a repeated number of attempts. For the next 30 seconds the DNS Client service will not use the network to avoid further network performance problems. It will resume its normal behavior after that. If this problem persists, verify your TCP/IP configuration, specifically check that you have a preferred (and possibly an alternate) DNS server configured. If the problem continues, verify network conditions to these DNS servers or contact your network administrator.

It's almost like I need to setup #1 as a DNS server? I'm lost:confused:

Gonzo

Staff member
Just to be sure, temporarily, set #2 Compname to the same as #1, unplug #1 from the net, restart #2 & see if it goes online. I think it may be @home causing this problem.

alex

Originally posted by Gonzo
Just to be sure, temporarily, set #2 Compname to the same as #1, unplug #1 from the net, restart #2 & see if it goes online. I think it may be @home causing this problem.

yep, I'm posting from #2 right now. What next?

Gonzo

Staff member
getting a router, or paying for #2 to have an unique ID..,
If you unplug the cable & leave #1 & 2 hooked to the hub I'll bet they communicate.

alex

So basically @home IS my network right now and will not allow another computer to the network without a unique ID?

That sucks :smash:

Gonzo

Staff member
That's what I see, call 'em up, get the okay to add "b" to #2, pay the $5. until you get a router. Sorry