Burning ISO Images under Linux

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
If you have cdrecord installed, then the procedure for burning an ISO image under Linux is rather simple. One line at a command prompt.

cdrecord dev=0,1,0 speed=8 -v -v <filename.iso>

Rather straight forward really, The dev = is the device on the SCSI bus your SCSI or emulated IDE recorder is located. for SCSI devices, it's usually like 6,0 or something like that depending where yours is located. For IDE, like mine, run cdrecord -scanbus to determine where your device is located. The speed= is the burn speed. The -v -v is to increment the verbose level by one...not really sure yet why this is needed. Then the last part is the filename of the ISO. So, in my case of wanting to burn the Slackware 8 ISO images:

cdrecord dev=0,1,0 speed=8 -v -v install.iso

cdrecord dev=0,1,0 speed=8 -v -v extra.iso

Any questions, you know where to post em. :D

K

krusty

are console commands the way you like to drive linux posty, I gave that up way back in the dos 6.1 days, there must be a GUI for us lazy types surely.

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Oh there is, XCDRoast. But I haven't figured out how to burn an ISO under that frontend yet. There are others also, but XCDRoast is what I have always used. VERY slick interface and loaded with options. For ISO's though, I just started playing around with them this morning. So, the cli is the only method I know of.....for now. :D

wine4all

SWM 40 seeking truth
If you are running a distro with KDE vs KDE2 my favorite CD ISO burning GUI is Kisocd. With KDE2 it won't work so I have used a combination of ERoaster and KOnCD but forget which one will burn ISO's.