Build a new A64 system now...

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
im in the same delima. after the lightening strike they are deciding what will be replaced. So im looking at 64, but the prices are pretty steep if you want fast.sad thing is the boards are going to be outdated in a few months since pcie is comming.

ImRaptor

I'm sticking with my current system until something either reliable or a lot faster comes out. I'm not really interested in things that either crank out to much heat, or is a technology that is pretty much useless and its socket type will be unsupoorted by the time the technology even really begins to get more support.

As great as it would be to have 64 bit CPU's, they don't do much good right now. Great, you can get a couple of 64 bit OS's that are still fairly new. Most of the drivers for the 64bit XP are in Beta if not Alpha stage if they are even available. Only other realy choice is the 64bit SuSe. Thats a whole new slew of potential problems.
SO you pretty much are stuck with 32 bit for the time being, even with a 64 bit CPU. Which sucks when you consider that the 64bit CPU costs 2-3 times as much as an equivalent 32bit CPU and while effectively speaking, they do the same thing.

I plan on waiting for either AMD to come out with their Dual core CPU's or at the very least figure out exactly what they are going to do with their chips. Looking at their price mappings for 2005 does not fill me with wonderful visions of owning an AMD again anytime soon.

ImRaptor

Well, since you are using a P3, I'd say an upgrade to like a 2500+ system would be plenty of power for a year or two. Well into 2005 anyway when the selection of chips should at least be more promising.

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
My goal is upgrading the main system every 3 years and getting something 3x faster. As I'm running a Duron 800 a XP 2500+ should do the trick I think. I'm in a dilemna about the Motherboard though. I can get Asus board a little cheaper from the company I work for. I have the option for the N8X-X or the N8X De Luxe. The later is 60% more expensive, and the only real advantage is Serial ATA. Is it worth so much money?