Athlon operating temp and voltage

S

s4

Where can I find the specs for an Athlon T-Bird 950? I looked at AMD's site but couldn't find what I was looking for. I'd like to know the core voltage and normal operating temperature specifically. Is there a link when I can find a chart comparing these things with the various AMD processors?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I think up to the T-bird 1.0 or 1.1, operating voltages were 1.7. After 1.0 it was raised to 1.75

Normal operating temps are usually around 35-45 depending on what kind of load the software being run is generating

S

s4

I'm not using it too much right now because all I have is a Coolermaster heatsink and fan to keep it cool. There are no case fans installed. I started with a barebones and have been building it one piece at a time.

I know people say that PC Chips boards aren't any good, but it has yet to screw up in the first few hours of running it. My cpu temp is around 40 C.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
40 is a pretty hot temperature if you're not stressing it all that much. I would look into getting an OCZ heatsink from here along with some of their QuickSilver thermal goop. That should sufficiently cool ya down. :smash:

S

s4

Thanks. I'll take a look.

The voltage is set automatically by the motherboard at 1.77. The clock is set at 9.5x100 mhz.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
The voltage is a little higher than it needs to be, but nothing really way out of whack.

S

s4

I was thinking if I could lower the voltage that might make the chip run cooler. Unfortunately, this mobo doesn't seem to have the option in bios to adjust the voltage.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Look and see if it is a jumper-controlled setting. Some motherboards do that to prevent accidental setting of extreme voltage that melts your processor, or because they're too cheap (or smart) to make it easy to oc for the people who don't want to get down and dirty with their computer's internal organs :D

S

s4

Actually that 40 C was with a full load. I've been reading what other people are saying about their temps and mine are not bad. I haven't had any heat related problems with it. In fact, it has yet to have an error in the month since I got it when it was new.