Asking for a little input here

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
What I'm currently working on is a basic FAQ/HOW-TO on Flashing the BIOS of the PC. As this FAQ develops, it may or may not cover other aspects of the BIOS, such as settings and configuring it in detail. For now, it will be just an FAQ for flashing. What I would like to know for others is what questions they have about this. To comprise the FAQ, I want to stick to format of question/answer responses. I've compiled a list of typical questions that I am currently working on answers to:

How do I flash a BIOS?

Why should I update my system BIOS?

How do I clear the CMOS?

How do I get a replacement BIOS chip?

How do I save my BIOS settings so I can restore them later?

How can I fix my BIOS chip after a bad upgrade?

Why can't I access my BIOS? I press Delete and nothing happens?

How do I tell what version of BIOS is currently installed on the motherboard?

What does CAS Latency 2 and CAS Latency 3 mean?

How do I disable ACPI?

How do I clear the password?

These are a few that I have compiled. If you have any that you would like to contribute to the FAQ please post them here or email them to if you prefer. Any contributions will be noted and if used, the contributor will be listed in the FAQ in a special thanks section for allt hose who participate.

My ulimate goal here is to create an FAQ for everyone on flashing the BIOS, then after I get this one done, create one for Settings within the BIOS...tweaking the BIOS or whatever you choose to refering to it as.

Maybe also:

What is hotswapping the bios? [don't no the proper name for replacing the bios when the computer is already running]

When should I upgrade my bios [when is it really necessary, when is it just for "fun"]

Oh, forgot: maybe in the near future a part on flashing the BIOS on your videocard...I still wanna know how to do that :D

fury

Administrator
Staff member
What do I do if my power went out in the middle of a BIOS flash and my computer will no longer start?

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
fury said:
What do I do if my power went out in the middle of a BIOS flash and my computer will no longer start?

throw it away:lol:

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
seriously, you also need to cover how to access your BIOS in sytems that don't want you to-like Packard Bell.

S

s4

I think you should complete the answers to the questions you already have.

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Already working on that part s4. :) I'm also working on a section for accessing various BIOS' within different systems. PB, ACER, Compaq, Gateway, DLR, etc.. Hope to have a draft done in a few weeks as I want this to be as complete as possible.

S

s4

I want to know how to get into the bios when it ignores the del key myself. I've experienced that not long ago.

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
I would definately like to know when it's necessary to flash the bios as opposed to doing it for "fun" (good one shadow):thup:

flavio

superfly
Staff member
I flashed my bios 8 times this morning for fun....it called the cops. Said something about....OMG that's just toooo humoungous!