Argh ^@%@$@%@$@%@

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
mycomputers are droping like flies..... my 1.4 has been running for almost 4 weeks straight without a single reeboot. I downed it tonight to add a second harddrive and now the agp doesnt work. Ive tried 3 different card to no avail. i gotta try a pci to verify its only the agp. right now it doesnt show anything. Ahhhh im gonna kill it.:mad: :cry: :smash: :smash:

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
explain to me, again, the point of not shutting off the computer at night...

Acid

stud
i've heard it's hard on the hardware shutting them off and starting them back on (at least once a day by that standard). I never reboot mine unless I have to.

Neo: Doesn't your motherboard have the error beep code?

Acid

stud
well, I'd have to be there to actually toy w/it.

i've had problems w/shutting down and changing HDDs on my PCI Controller, and then it not even recognize the controller. Then I just reboot a few times, and it finally sees it again. Dunno why it does it.

I have no clue tho ;(

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
Two thoughts -

What powersupply are you using? it could be that the additional HD was just too much for it.

Single repeating beep often means RAM. Might you have jiggled the RAM while you were in there?

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
It definately sounds like a RAM issue bud. Could be an issue with one or more of the sticks in the box. Try each alone to find the culprit.

AMDnut

Eee equals emcee squared...
NEO - Postcode is right, single beep over and over is a RAM issue. Reseat or remove and test one stick at a time.

AGP/Video is one long beep followed by 3 short beeps:

Beeeeeeeep, beep, beep, beep

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
ok refresh my memory with ddr can i use a single stick or is it in pairs also?

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
well i did the testing, and i believe the cpu's are fried. I dont have any spare tbirds to test. I did reseat the ram and the beeps went away. but it still does not show any video. ARGH!!!!

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
If you can remove the RAM from the system fire it up and get the beeping, the I doubt the CPU is fried. You might try running the system at the default speed during this testing your doing btw. Does the system have an ISA slot? If so, try booting to an ISA video card. If that works, the you have a BIOS issue.

AMDnut

Eee equals emcee squared...
NEO - I'm sure you have checked this....... but, are your jumpers for the drives all configured correctly? Master/Slave, etc. all set the way you want. No double Masters or double slaves?

I've did that little trick to myself more than once........ just something to check. :( :cry2: :cry:

Acid

stud
yeah, reset the cmos.

if everything else fails, scream, cry, and kick the bloody shit outta that computer :D

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
ok im down to no drives and a agp video card.no beeps but no video either. I do believe the board is toast and it fried my 1.2 cpu as well. Not bad for the weekend, 400.00 worth of hardware toast.:cry: all i wanted to do was replace a smaller hdd with a larger one.
lesson to be learned to much can be to much.:(