Arctic Silver 3 Sux!!!!!

Hey all,

Just wanted to let you know. I built a box with an Athlon XP 1800+. I built it about 4 weeks ago. I first put it together with the factory (retail) thermal pad on the bottom of the heatsync. The processor ran at about 104F (40C). I then took it back out and carefully scrapped of the thermal pad, and very perfectly cleaned, and applied standard radio shack thermal grease. After about 1 week of the box being on 24/7 NO CHANGE!

I then took the processor and heatsync back out, and cleaned it with 99% alcohol, and followed the instructions (TO A "T") off of www.ArcticSilver.com . I have let the system run for about a week again 24/7 not turning it off, and it still sits at 104F (40C) NO CHANGE.

What an absolute joke, and waste of money. I have to say that AMD obviously knows what they are doing with this thermal pad.....as it gets the same low temp that Arctic Silver did. I am fairly pissed. Arctic Silver said that the machine should be on for about 72 hours before you'd start seeing a difference with a lower temp. I know exactly how this stuff is supposed to work, but it hasn't worked on my box! ...And it's not like I didn't do exactly what they said to do!

What Gives? This is Crap! I'm not concerned about my Proc, because it already sits at a low temp, but Arctic Silver sure as heck didn't help it get there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I should have known that a big company like AMD knows more about cooling than some mom & pop shop trying to make some goofy silver grease (and yes I got the real thing - I know their are copy cats out there).

Oh Well......I guess the only way you learn if something is a scam is to buy it one time :D

That's the last $6 that Arctic Silver will ever get from me!

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Is that the load or idle temperature?

Because, with OCZ Quicksilver compound (same stuff, just cheaper), I saw a 5°C lower temperature, with my Athlon 1.2 @ 1.33, and a friend of mine who got the same stuff and used it on his 800 saw 5°C lower temps and was able to oc it to 890

Justintime

Something
i've seen about 6C temps decrease with ASIII over normal compound, suggest you look at the case cooling and heatsink.

S

s4

My XP 1700 runs about 40 C. I used Artic Alumina. The other day it was pretty warm in this room but the temp stayed at around 40 C. If that is all the warmer it is going to get then I am pretty darn happy with it.

Nothing wrong with Case cooling or heatsync. I am using the heatsync and fan that came with the AMD retail proc. The case is at about 43C all the time.

Under load the Proc hits about 113F (45C). That is the exact same thing it hit under load with the Thermal pad.

Like I said.....not dissatisfied with the temp, just dissatsfied with the Arctic Silver compound.

I don't overclock my stuff.....just like to keep it kool!

Maybe if I was overclocking the temp would decrease. But if that's the case then Arctic Silver should say that it doesn't help non-Overclocked procs.

Thanks all :-)

The Case fan and Proc fan are loud as heck though. Almost to the point of being annoying.

In the MSI temp monitor it says one is running at 4400RPM and the other is at like 2400RPM.

You think I need a bigger fan on the case or the proc?

I'll see if I can post some pics of it if you guy wouldn't mind taking a peak at it :-)

Sorry about flaming Arctic Silver so bad. Didn't have such a good week end.

Thanks again all ! :beerchug:

Acid

stud
I'm not sure, but I think Delta fans are supposed to be top-notch. Ask fury, he knows all (about fans that is) :eh:

dimme

I think you should lower your case temperature to a reasonable level (25C-30C) and change the heatsink. AMD retail heatsinks aren't exactly the best ones out there, more the opposite.

Any suggestions on new Heatsync and Fan? Do I really need to change them if I don't overclock this box?

Also...I was wrong! :scared:

My case temp is like 93F (33C), and My Proc temp is like 104F (40C) when idle.

When under load the case temp is like 96F (35.5C), and my proc temp is like 116F (46C).

What do you all think of these temps? Any better?

I don't know what I was thinkin' when I said my case temp was 43C all the time! :sick:

Cheers:beerchug: