Anyone still on Diablo?

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
Prof, are you online with this yet, or are you still dicking around in single player? There's all kinds of stuff on the mule for barbarians, which is what I thought you were playing.

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
Professur said:
Has anyone tried out the druid character? There's something kinda special about having the ground rear up and kill the bad guys without any effort at all on your part. 'Specially with those ravens plucking out their eyes. Worth a trial
Didn't try yet. I'm thinking about making one myself, though, but I didn't find a good guide yet. I have a lvl 14 Werebear on Ladder now, and so far he's doing ok. If you wanna just go and kill Baal in Normal I think almost anything you do will work...
[Edit:]I found this Hybrid Fire/Summon that looks interesting: http://strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=550

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
HomeLAN said:
Prof, are you online with this yet, or are you still dicking around in single player? There's all kinds of stuff on the mule for barbarians, which is what I thought you were playing.

Well? I hear you breathing.

Professur

Mushroom at large
Still single player. I've got a rookie at work which prevents me going online from here. I'm trying to set up dialup on the gamer at home, but I'll have to have my account reset, since the paper I had all my account information on is MIA.

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
I've started doing nightmare runs. Do the countess for the rune drop, then go kill ba'al. Whole deal takes about 30-40 minutes, with some hellacious item drops. Look for the mule to fill up again soon.

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
It works for me. Three of the same type in the cube and transmute, right?

This works up to thul. For thul and beyond, you have to have multiples of the runes PLUS a gem of a certain type and quality. In addition, this deal was only activated in patches as time went on. What version are you playing? 1.09, 1.10, 1.11, what?

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
I didn't know about the Thul thing. Steve, I'll be on by the usual time tonight if you want to kick some monster ass...

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
I'll be late, at best. Wife and I are going catch a 4:15 movie (yes, I'm ditching work a bit early).

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
Sorry I had to ditch so fast, Noite. Dinner was ready - and then it turned out it wasn't. *sigh*

Professur

Mushroom at large
Trying out the Necromancer. Good Gravy, don't let the kids see this. This guy makes the paladin look like a pansy. Physically, he's a pussy, but even at the first levels the gore factor increases by magnitudes. Who'd have thought ripping the skeleton out of a corpse would spread gore across half the screen. And the exploding corpse trick is fun too. I started one and just tried out things, but started a new one and I'm putting all my points into skeletal mastery. I've only got two skeletons at the moment, but they dealt with Coldcrow on their own without difficulty. By keeping your points in skeletal mastery instead of putting them into raise skeleton and raising a feeble army, I've made two kick ass fighters (interesting to see their weapons change as they level up) and those points can still by profitable when I start raising skeletal mages.

But don't let the kids watch.

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
They say a summonmancer is one of the easiest ways of finishing the game. At the higher difficulties, ordinary skeletons are more efficient than Mages.
Max Raise Skeleton, Skeleton Mastery, a few points into revives, a few into Mages, few Corpse Explosion,a Clay Golem, and one point in each Curse. Add some + to all skills items and you're done. Only problem is, when playing on realms, your army is reset at every saving. In hell is waaaaaay hard(next to impossible) to kill the first monster, in order to raise a corpse, with a solo Necro. Other than that is piece of cake.
Playing in parties is a whole different world. Skeletons have trouble killing the incresed life monsters in 8 player games, and other players simply hate summonmancers, because of the lag they cause. When playing in group, the best option is to support the others by applying curses only and using Corpse Explosion.
[Edit]Forgot to mention: ideally you'll max Summon Resist also, or at least put as much points you can into it.

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
Let me know if someone wants to play tonight. I'll be home by 6:30 EST, but if nobody reply to this thread I'll log on Europe instead...

Professur

Mushroom at large
Maybe it's just me, but playing the druid and necromancer seems to generate a helluva lot more bad guys. I went through the same sections with the pally and barb, and didn't see anything like this.