Anyone have an opinion on Dreamweaver?

flavio

superfly
Staff member
I tried it for an hour or two a couple versions back. Some code it generated pissed me off and I've been sticking to my trusty Homesite text editor ever since.

I'm thinking of giving it another chance to see if it indeed does have some reason for existence.

flavio

superfly
Staff member
Screw that.

Even if it didn't have any of the other nifty features, I would use Homesite just for the text highlighting.

After that it's the directory browser and the extended find/replace that can take an entire folder of web documents and rename every instance of logo.gif with logo_new.gif

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I still like to make my code by hand... that way I have more control over what goes in the code and what doesn't.

Wizzywig editors put in a bunch (usually 50%) of useless code that does nothing or could be done about 20x more efficiently another way

flavio

superfly
Staff member
Yep, that's why I use Homesite and that's why I got pissed last time I used Dreamweaver.

If you're using notepad you really owe it to yourself to try Homesite. It's a text editor, so you're still hand coding your pages, but it adds some really great features. Like the text-highlighting for example. It colors links blue, greys out comments, and turns clumps of asp code yellow. It makes it a hell of allot easier to read a page of code. There's a browse tab which quickly shows you what the page will look like in a browser. You can highlight a tag and tell it to find the matching tag, which is SOOO handy when you get a little lost in some serious nesting. Seriously.....check it out.

As far as Dreamweaver goes though, I'm just wandering if it just might have a couple uses. Macromedia's other products are so nice it's making me wonder.

bitchen

Dude!
I work for a Web developer. My site is all TextPad (you people using notepad, get TextPad, it's free and it does syntax highlighting! www.textpad.com

Anyway I'm a programmer, but our Art Dept uses DreamWeaver because it makes readable HTML and you have lots of options for what tags it's allowed to use.

FrontPage makes bloated, unreadable code.

The Newest DreamWeaver is nice for PhotoShop users, cuase the menus and docking controls are similar.

ris

i am my my own evil twin
dw is ok, i used it a bit a year or so ago, found it tough in places.

been using Adobe GoLive 5 recently - very nice, if a little resource hoggy. the code is a bit crappy though - a lot of it is redundant
it has some spanking features for managing links in sites without having to open the individual pages

tko97

Cocaine Superhero
I use GoLive man. When it comes to hard coding javascript and thsoe features, you have to it in text but just getting the basic design and stuff, I definately use GoLive for that. I would hate to have to type out all that code just put a lousy table in.