Anybody care for a 264-CPU Athlon server cluster?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
[article=http://investor.cnet.com/investor/news/newsitem/0-9900-1028-8694035-0.html]The Supercomputer consists of 132 Linux based nodes configured with 264 AMD Athlon(TM) MP processors, 132 gigabytes of memory and nearly 8 terabytes of storage. Each node is connected with Dolphin Interconnect's high-performance WulfKit, which includes a 64Bit/66MHz SCI card and Scali high-performance MPI and Universe cluster management software. Only the RackSaver RS-1132 chassis allows for these specifications to be configured in a 19" 1U rack-optimized server design.

With performance numbers exceeding 300 gigaflops, "UpsAnd" ranks among the top 100 supercomputers in the world, and currently is the most powerful high-performance supercluster San Diego-based RackSaver has built to date. .......

"UpsAnd" can accomplish such high-level computations in part because its architecture differs from other cluster computers. In a typical cluster, the processors perform parallel tasks to compress the amount of time needed to process data. "UpsAnd's" 264 processors actually work together to complete a single task, similar to the behavior of a true supercomputer. "UpsAnd" is eight times more powerful than its "younger brother," a 32-node Beowulf cluster delivered to UCSC in March 2001 by RackSaver Inc. [/article]

And I thought my AMD 1.2 GHz system was fairly fast :(

How long would it take to crunch one SETI-WU? 20 seconds? :D
A nice system they have...only I think it'll be quite expensive to buy, and to maintain :)

Kruz

Staff member
Damn!
That motherboard must be taller than I am... Can you imagine what 264 screaming 7000 RPM Delta black label fans sound like!:)