Anger

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Anger is my way of life. I've never known any other outlet for frustration. But it's been coined as a negative emotion, along the same lines of other truly negative emotions like depression and sadness. Why? If I release my anger on something like a pillow or a stuffed animal or a piece of computer hardware, it prevents me from releasing it on a person. Certainly I'm not the only one that uses anger to his advantage like this.

Do you use anger as a form of therapy? How?

greenfreak

I only release anger in the workplace on the people I don't like so that I'm nice to the people I care about outside work. :D

Seriously, I have to learn to hide my distaste for people and the things they do at work, I'm not good at hiding my feelings. Call it being 'non-diplomatic', but it can be bad.

I was being *yelled* at by a woman on the phone today and my first instinct was to tell her to shove it, I don't have to listen to this... But I was cordial and professional and thought to myself, "This must be what I sound like when I get mad at people." Not good. If I keep that in mind the next time I want to be snide with someone, I might stop myself.

I don't think holding all your anger in is good either but there has to be some theraputic way to let it out without hurting or worrying your loved ones. I heard exercise (or hitting a punching bag or something) is good for that but I'm too lazy. :D

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I don't have the money to get a punching bag. I usually use the bed, or my computer. :D

Maybe when I get my own place and get on my own 2 feet with a job that pays $150,000 a year (yeah, RIGHT :retard: ) I'll be able to afford a nice home fitness center

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
*Don't go hitting any 2" solid oak doors*

...you'll break a hand...

greenfreak

fury said:
I don't have the money to get a punching bag. I usually use the bed, or my computer. :D

Maybe when I get my own place and get on my own 2 feet with a job that pays $150,000 a year (yeah, RIGHT :retard: ) I'll be able to afford a nice home fitness center

I'm sorry--I wasn't trying to tell you what to do, maybe I misread your first post. I was just answering your question... But since you brought it up (;)), if you ever wanted to try exercise, you don't need equipment or a gym membership or even your own place to do basic stuff. I wish I could run, I used to really enjoy it, but I have some physical limitations that hold me back. I do bike ride occasionally, sit-ups/crunches, some small weight lifting... When I went to my sister's aerobics classes, all we used was a step and some free weights.

I don't know what else to tell you-I have to figure it out myself too! Maybe it's something that I should research online, cus I try to maintain my own anger and that's not working. It may be time for outside information! :)

systembuilder

Folding@home
you will find a way i did... but you'll have to find you own way no one else can tell you how.. i found that out the hard way:banghead:

BigDadday

Everday People
Anger for each one of us is dealt with differently and yes it does help to take it out on something than a human being but that is not always the case either so all I personally can say and that is an opinion is that you should try to find a way to curb it more and more until YOU master it and when the time comes and you need to realease it then that time will be at your chosing.BD

Professur

Mushroom at large
Focused anger can be a very productive tool. You'd be amazed at what you can acomplish if you're too pissed off to worry about failure.

PuterTutor

Huge said:

You've learned this first hand, haven't you?

One more piece of advice, don't punch the wall either, drywall is not very strong, and is a bitch to patch. Yup, learned that one first hand myself. I have a heavy bag now.

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
Huge said:

I don't punch doors for fear of breaking locks. I punch masonry walls instead. Of course I can't do it much times in sequence or I'll end with my hands sored... An old mattress is an alternative to a punching bag...