AMD K6-2 550

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Soyo 5EMA+ v1.1 mobo won't clock 550, it's supposed to, but it won't start above 500-with all the new members maybe I'll get a little help now. lol :cool:

fx

Does the screen just show blank when you set it to 550 ? Are the voltage settings correct for the CPU ?

Gonzo

Staff member
i've had two or three different reactions to 550. in general, it verifies dmi pool data, gets the w2k sasfe mode option (press f8) & no more-the chip is 2.3v & i've tried 2.1-2.5

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
Oops! Didn't saw your last post. BTW it's a new system or you just swapped CPUs? I meant you reinstalled OS?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Bios flashed to the latest revision, adequate cooling, correct jumper settings and all that good stuff?

Try conservative bios settings (Set everything to the "slow" or "most compatible" setting, some bioses call it loading Fail-Safe defaults)

Everything all connected nice and tight?

there's nothing obstructing the cooling of the system, is there? like dust-clogged or even inoperable :eek: fans, excessive wiring (especially IDE and floppy cables)?

Try running with your case open, if you aren't already, because if your case is poorly designed (e.g. Style over solid construction and good airflow efficiency), it could make a huge difference.

Gonzo

Staff member
Okay, I'm back from New England (2200 miles & 22000lbs in 72 hours-damn, I hate Boston)
I'll answer all in order-
CPU upgrade (had a "borrowed k6-2 450 oc'd to 500-wouldn't go over that)
New/Clean Win2K install 06/02/01
Yes, Yes, Yes
set default on clean install
tightern' a Nuns C***
My case is ALWAYS open, too lazy to close/open/close/open/close-you get the point
still unsure if the problem could be my Voodoo3 3000 AGP, waiting for NEO to drop off a good card for testing, have SB live value & Linksys T10/100 ethternet card, that's it
I want my 550 :D

Justintime

Something
have you considered that you may just have a core close to the limit? not all k6-2 or any cpus for that matter are equal! and i've seen a few that don't hit 550 at 3V even with super cooling (H20)! while another hit 550 at 2.2V stable and some others hit usually 2.3-5V

Gonzo

Staff member
this is a brand new 550
I've about given up & say "screw it"-time for a P4 1.4g :rolleyes:

Justintime

Something
ok, i misunderstood :D i thought this was a 500 you wanted to get to 550! the 550 is an AFX core if i remember well, 2.3v, maybe the board is shot? sure the multiplier is set right? i'm thinking some sort of voltage regulator problem that it can't handle the demand for current for 550 :confused:

btw, why a pentium 4? i hope you jest!

Gonzo

Staff member
btw, why a pentium 4? i hope you jest!

ANYTHING faster & more entertaining than a 550 uc'ed to 500
I have a 450 & 550-can't get either over 500-it's a new(Xmas 2000) mobo-I've heard of occasional problems with the 550-bad chips-just hoping for additional ideas

fury

Administrator
Staff member
the p4 sucks :D

get a T-bird 1.4 or wait till the desktop palomino (Athlon 4) comes out

leo549

I have a no go Amd 500

I chose a FIC - VA- 503 + over a Soyo. Just wanted to use up some left over parts and put together a low buck AT unit for a spare. She fired up OK with a Cyrix 233 and Pc 66 ram. then a friend wanted me to sell it to him and put a bigger cpu in it. I changed to PC 100 ram and put a AMD K 6 II 500 in it. Now it hangs at the end of the POST. It recognizes the 500 cpu but cannot find it in the bios system config screen. I would be willing to bet that most of the end of the run socket 7 mo bos that are sold need their drivers and bios updated to accept the later CPUs. I am going to go back to a cpu that works and then first make sure that the latest drivers are installed. If that doesn't work then I will see if I need to update the bios. Right about now I wish I had sold the parts and started from scratch with a Tyan board and a P III . Give me dependability any day.

God so loved Christians, that He created lions...Leo: 549