Alice in Chains singer, dead

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Heroin must be better than life.

By GENE JOHNSON, Associated Press Writer

SEATTLE - Layne Staley, lead singer and guitarist for the grunge band Alice in Chains, was found dead in his apartment, authorities said Saturday. He was 34.

Tests were required to establish the identity because the body, discovered Friday, had started to decompose. The King County Medical Examiner's office did not release his cause of death.

"It was natural or an overdose — that's the way it was determined by our investigators," said Seattle Police spokesman Duane Fish.

With Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden, Alice in Chains was one of the most prominent bands of the Seattle grunge scene of the early '90s. The group was known for its dark, menacing sound, which combined grunge and heavy metal, and often wrote about heroin.

Gonzo

Staff member
I never cared for the Seattle sound.

It doesn't give the artist an out, but there needs to be some serious DEA investigations into the way the A&R guys push junk on the artists. They start the addiction to get some control over the artists & end up killing them.

markjs

QuackHead
Another fine example of where good dope will take you.

All I can say is thank God and the fine people who supported me when I kicked or I'd most likely be with Layne now.

FYI he was originally from my home town of Tacoma Washington, or at least the band was (not like I knew them), but if you knew Tacoma you'd know what a nowhere place is.

Gonzo

Staff member
surprise surprise surprise

SEATTLE (Reuters) - A lethal mix of heroin and cocaine claimed the life of Layne Staley, lead singer of the defunct "grunge" rock band Alice in Chains, who was found dead in his Seattle home last month, authorities said on Wednesday.

An autopsy by the King County Medical Examiner's office listed the drug overdose as accidental, ruling out homicide or suicide in the death of the 34-year-old recording artist.