Ahhhhhhh!

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
Auntie finally agreed to get dsl; hope the wifi signal can make it up to my room. Still need to tweak settings; stupid install program is still "testing the configuration" :rolleyes:

Attachments

• dsl.jpg
    dsl.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 85

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
Damn, the signal only goes up to the floor below mine. Guess I'll have to go find a signal booster; anyone have any recommendations? Also, any thoughts on the router (Westell 327W)?

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
I won't post my results...I'll just offer my congratulations & smile :D

well, maybe
Communications 4.4 megabits per second
Storage 539.8 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 1.9 seconds
Subjective rating Awesome

Inkara1

Mine's 1.2 megabits per second. It's SBC/Yahoo DSL in California. 1MB file downloaded in 6.8 seconds.

Not too bad for $26.95 a month, I reckon.

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
It slowed way the hell down tonight; felt like I was back on dialup. :(

I finally managed to get a signal up here, but I still need some kind of repeater/signal booster.

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
Just spent 45 mins on the phone with a tech from verizon; our dsl dropped significantly (can't top 20kB/s downloads). Ran every test in the book; even had him remotely log on (according to him, there's nothing wrong on their end). They will dispatch techs to check it out in the next 48 hours. :(

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
I did try another antenna at compussr; made the signal worse.

Once they fix it, I'm swapping out the router. Also are repeaters and access points the same? :confused:

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
I thought an access point was more like a router and a repeater was basically a signal booster. My impression was that "access point" = wireless router.

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
That's what I thought; all that is on the back of an access point I looked was a RJ-45 port and a power port. :confused:. I really need to research this further.

At least my speed *is* improving; yesterday it was hanging out at the 1x ISDN level.

Attachments

• speedtest.jpg
    speedtest.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 58

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
Huge said:
That's what I thought; all that is on the back of an access point I looked was a RJ-45 port and a power port. :confused:. I really need to research this further.

Yeah. You should be able to pick it up through a wireless LAN card set for DHCP. The access points I've dealt with have had an additonal RJ45 to plug in a wired PC for configuration, but you may not need that if your wireless NIC is set right. Unfortunately, Linksys's FTP server keeps timing out on me, so I can;t confirm that.

After a little research, it looks like some wireless AP's can act as repeaters as well as act as bridges for spread-out LAN's.

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
OK. But if I pick up a Linksys/D-Link/etc. AP, will it work with my craptacular router? Or should I bite the bullet and just buy a better router? It's amazing I'm picking up anything on my wi-fi with that little antenna.

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
It should. If it doesn't, what the hell. You're not out any extra money, just the time to go back and buy another one.

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
Well, it's going to have to wait untll at least Tuesday; about to start "Monday" at work. Hopefully by then, everything will be fixed ( :rolleyes: )

Inkara1

I just re-tested my DSL, this time at 3:50 a.m. instead of 5-something p.m., and got the exact same numbers. I'd say I have a pretty consistent connection.

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
I hate you all! :mad: ;)

Who's your provider, greenie?

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 30