92 Plymouth Aclaim

Professur

Mushroom at large
Mum's car, for don't blame me.

Ocasionally, when accelerating, the gas pedal feels like the resistance has tripled. Release and press again, and she goes right to the floor with almost no resistance at all. Had it in the shop three times, and three different mechanics couldn't find dick.

Any clues?

Deanril

Well.... What do we have ,I believe that's a 2.2 or 2.5 either throttle body or port fuel injected motor?

In any case you have a throttle cable ,and a throttle/air valve that opens and closes with pedal movement.

My first response would be,either the cable is FREYED some where and is binding ,maybe under the cable housing unvisable to see ,and removal of cable and inspect the movement might be needed.

Or the throttle valve is binding
fuel-injection-throttle.jpg
it may have grease and dirt binding its movement or the valve may have play in it binding from time to time ,inspect and jiggle it and try and move from side to side.

Also typically with throttles there is a lever of some sort or cable going to tranny for a kickdown function ,it may be binding in some way as well.

Last but not least ,one time in Carb Rebuild class a lady wanted her carb overhauled ,we said ok(free for her extra credit for us) so we rebuilt it ,and she said it still had no power.

So after careful inspection I found the Floor mat restricting the movement of the accelerator pedal ,removed mat to proper position and all was well ,her son recently cleaned the car and after is when the problem started.

Good luck.

soniclos

I also have close to the same problem, I thinks its fuel presure realated.

The accelrator is hard to push, and poor acceleration when the gas tank is at 1/4 or below. When full the pedal is usally very easy to push, and the engine has power.

The problem car is a '89 Accura Integra, 1.6L or 1.8L cant remember which is which on that car.

Professur

Mushroom at large
I think you might have hit on it with the kickdown cable. Highrevving was mentionned once too.

Thanks.

Deanril

soniclos: that to me sounds Impossible,due to the fact its an AIR valve as descibed and pictured above,the fuel pressure has absolutely nothing to do with the movement of the air/throttle valve.

1/4 tank problem,could have something to do with fuel pump and or lots of dirt in tank.