2 ghz XP to sport .13 micron

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Courtesy of Pra on IRC

[article=http://www.theinquirer.net/17010207.htm]The XP-2500 using Thoroughbred will indeed launch in Q2 of this year but it seems the amount of on die level two cache is not decided - meaning it's likely to be higher.[/article]

mmm, does that mean we'll have genuine (read: not Pee-4) 2 ghz processors with 512k of on-die, full-speed cache? ;D

dimme

Sounds sweet

BUT will it work in current KT133A motherboards like the XP does?

/me isn't in the mood to go out and buy a new motherboard

Justintime

Something
i kinda doubt it. using that speed multiplier might do more harm than good, and SDR RAM will not bring out the best in those processors. Might consider as well theat the regulators might not be able to supply the current needed.

dimme

What about the KT7A ot the Iwill kt133a motherboard? The intentionally put six regulators onto the board to be able to supply the current demand of future processors.

Justintime

Something
well, outa 3 rev 1.1 and 2 1.3 KT7A boards none have ran XP 1900+ chips o'ced to 1667Mhz stably :( only KT133A board that i have tested to work is a MSI K7T Turbo, which has surprised me as a top performer and VERY stable platform. i've tested this with a 400W Antec Psu and a CAK 38 HS. All KT7A s showed up flaws durin installs of various windows, and i used 3 different hdds and 2 DVD drives to rule out component failure. also, when windows was installed, it was buggy and crashy, with explorer errors etc..

fury

Administrator
Staff member
the KT7a will probably able to support the 2 gig, but it may require a BIOS update.

That is, unless the 2 gig uses a 166fsb.